Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One Thing That Really Bothered Me

Throughout this whole strange trip there were many ups and downs, good and bad things happening, just one big roller coaster ride. There was, however, one thing that stayed constant and really made me crazy - people's reaction when I told them about it. I work in the medical profession, and believe me when I tell you that we are the hardest folks to convince that an elective (for the donor) surgical procedure is a smart thing to do. Most of the people I told were also medical folks. Most of them looked at me like I was crazy. People wanted to know why I would "let" my husband do such a thing, wanted to know if he had psychiatric problems, wanted to know why I was going with him to appointments, etc. From beginning to end, I never knew what kind of response I would get when I told someone. I soon came up with a standard response to the negative reactions. I simply told them that I did not have to approve of what he was doing, but I respect his need to do it. That usually stopped them in their tracks. I have to say that it really annoyed me to no end though. I'm pretty sure if it was their family member my husband was about to save, they would have had a whole different view of the situation.

2 comments:

rickismom said...

True. It is amazing how judgemental we all get....

firemom31 said...

Thank you for posting your comment. I find that I have to fight being judgemental all the time, even though I find it reprehensible. I always try to remind myself that we can't possibly know what it's like to walk in someone else's shoes. Compassion for all is really the key, in my mind.