Sunday, April 12, 2009

The beginning

My husband had put me in a bad spot, between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. I wanted desperately to refuse to have anything to do with this whole donation thing. Not that it isn't a noble thing, an amazing thing, really, but not my husband! I really can't imagine living my life without him and I just couldn't tell him to go ahead and risk his life, therefore mine, for a friend. Then there was the other side of things. Fred. Fred that we both love so much. Fred the amazing human who spent his life helping others, even after he got sick. Fred who had given so much to the world and just wanted a chance to keep on doing it. How do I say no to saving his life? I have to say that I have been through some horrendous things in my life - the death of my first husband when I was only 20 years old, the murder of my 3 year old granddaughter, the suicide of a friend, but none of that prepared me to deal with the swirl of conflicting emotions that cascaded through my soul constantly and fiercely. How would deal with my husband's inevitable request for my help in this whole thing?

No comments: