Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Considering organ donation? Is a loved one considering it?

I have decided that it's time to tell the truth. If you search the web for information on organ donation from the donor's perspective you will see a lot of happy stories from recipients and dying people who need our help. You will hear stories from donors who talk about how it changed their lives for the better, what an amazing experience it was, yada yada yada. NO WHERE will you find anyone who will tell you the whole story, the whole truth. Although I certainly understand that these good-hearted folks are trying to get people to commit the selfless act of living organ donation, I believe that the whole story needs to be told, not just the warm fuzzies.

On August 19th, 2008, my husband allowed himself to be put under general anesthesia and have his body sliced almost in half. His kidney was removed and placed in the body of his friend, who was in the adjacent operating room. What I intend to tell you about is the journey we took to get there, both the bad and the good. Although my husband took a great risk and made a great sacrifice to save his friend's life, do not be deluded; as his wife I endured some horrific moments and tremendous strain personally and professionally. To this day I cannot tell you if I would willingly go through it again. But then again, I didn't exactly go through it willingly in the first place....but that's for the next installment. I encourage any of you who have been there-done that to add your stories. I also encourage anyone with question to feel free to ask. I will answer as much as I can or direct you to someone who can.

No comments: